Lung Cancer Awareness: Risk Factors, Signs and Symptoms
November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month.
The lungs are the primary organs of the respiratory system in humans. Their function is to extract oxygen from the atmosphere and transfer it into the bloodstream, and to release carbon dioxide from the bloodstream into the atmosphere, in a process of gas exchange.
Lung Cancer Awareness
Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of death in men and women around the world. It is no secret that smokers have the greatest risk of lung cancer, but lung cancer can also occur in people who have never smoked.
The survival rate for people diagnosed with lung cancer are low. Those who`ve been diagnosed at early stages have the best chance for recovery.
- Exposure to secondhand smoke
- Exposure to Radon Gas
- Exposure to Asbestos and other carcinogens
- Outdoor air pollution, especially chemicals released from the burning of fossil fuels
- Family history of lung cancer
Lung Cancer Signs and Symptoms
- A new cough that does not go away
- Changes in chronic cough or “smoker`s cough”
- A cough that gets worse, or does not go away
- Coughing up blood
- Shortness of breath and wheezing
- Constant chest pain, especially when coughing
- Frequent chest infections
- Swelling of the neck and the face
- Loss of appetite/ Weight loss without trying
- Bone pain
Lung cancer often spreads to other parts of the body, like the brain and bones. This can cause pain, nausea, and headaches among other signs and symptoms – depending on the organ that is affected. Once lung cancer has spread beyond the lungs, it is generally not curable, though treatments are available to help you live longer.
Reduce Your Risk
- Don`t smoke
- Quit smoking immediately
- Avoid secondhand smoke
- Test your home for Radon
- Avoid carcinogens at work and at home
- Maintain a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables
- Exercise often (most days of the week)
Lung Cancer Awareness Bracelet
The Lung Cancer Awareness Bracelet form part of our fundraising efforts for all the precious AOM children. We love them all dearly, and wish to help them on an ongoing basis with medical expenses. We can not see our vision and mission through without your support. It truly goes a long way, and we are grateful for each and every one of you for giving these children a chance at a brighter future. 🙏
The Lung Cancer Awareness Bracelet cost R35; consisting of silver and white wooden beads with crystals – and a Diamanté Awareness Ribbon, Made-with-love charm, and small Awareness-ribbon . To place and order, contact the agent in your area or shop online. Alternatively, please consider a donation; any and all donations welcome.
Sources: https://www.cansa.org.za/files/2015/05/2015-CANSA-Lung-Cancer-Infographic-Eng.pdf, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lung-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20374620, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_cancer, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung